Monday, August 6, 2012

Avocado Zucchini Burgers

My sister-in-law gave me a great recipe for Avocado Zucchini cakes.  I decided to clean it up a bit, make it higher in protein, and make it a main dish rather than a side dish, so I turned it into burgers.  You can make these whatever size you prefer.  I made 4 large burgers, and the nutrition stats are pretty great.  I bought Florida avocados this time around rather than Hass, because the store didn't have any ripe Hass.  The sticker on the avocado caught my eye, and I'm not entirely sure I buy into it, but who knows.  This avocado was called a Slimcado and boasts half the fat and 1/3 the calories of Hass avocadoes.  That's pretty awesome if that's the case.  Read more about it here:  http://www.brookstropicals.com/slimcado/.  Using the Slimcado and making this into 4 large burgers, each burger has 275 calories, 11g of fat (again, all from the avocado), 9g of fiber, and 12g of protein.  YUM.  Today I cut one up and ate it on top of a Baby Kale salad with some fat free dressing.  SO GOOD!

Ingredients:

  • 1 Florida Avocado, mashed
  • 2 Medium Zucchini, coursely grated
  • 1 c. Quinoa
  • 1 tbsp. Flaxseed
  • 1/2 c. Liquid Egg Whites
  • 2 tsp. Spicy Mustard
  • Spices to taste including NuSalt, Cayenne Pepper, Black Pepper, Oregano, and Garlic Powder
Instructions:


Mash the avocado in a large bowl

Coarsely grate the zucchini into the big bowl

In a Magic Bullet or food processor, pulse the quinoa and flaxseed until it resembles a coarse flour

Add the  mixture to the bowl

Add the spices

Mix together until well blended

Use your hands to form into patties of whatever size you choose, and place on a baking sheet sprayed lightly with cooking spray

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, then flip and bake another 20 minutes or until golden brown.

0 comments:

Post a Comment