Sunday, February 3, 2013

Clean, Paleo, Gluten-Free Thai Chicken Salad

I am eternally on a quest for clean, non-boring lunches.  I stumbled upon this recipe from the Food Network and changed it up a bit to suit my needs (and the ingredients I already had).  I can definitely see myself eating this all week long...either as a sandwich on some Ezekial Bread, or on top of a bed of spinach. 

I have recently discovered that I enjoy canned chicken breast...it's kind of like eating tuna, but higher in protein, lower in sodium, and definitely lacking mercury.  I made the dressing for this recipe and blended it with the veggies.  When I pack my lunches every night, I will use 1 can of chicken and stir in a serving of the dressing so that it's fresh every day!  The dressing makes 5 servings, so it's perfect for the week.

Dressing/Veggie Mixture Ingredients:
  • 3/4 lb. Asparagus, ends removed, and cut into chunks
  • 1 Red Bell Pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
  • 1/4 c. Coconut Oil (cold-pressed, extra virgin!)
  • 1/8 c. Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1.5 tbsp. Low Sodium Tamari Sauce (you can use soy sauce if you don't care about the gluten)
  • 1 tbsp. Sesame Oil
  • 1/4 tbsp. Honey
  • 2 tsp. Minced Garlic
  • 1/2 tsp. peeled, grated, Fresh Ginger
  • 1/2 tbsp. Sesame Seeds
  • 1/4 c. Natural Peanut Butter
  • 1 tsp. Salt
  • 1 tsp. Black Pepper

Instructions:
  • Blanch the asparagus in a pot of boiling salted water for 3 to 5 minutes until crisp-tender. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking. Drain.
  • Dice the peppers
  • Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing
  • Add the asparagus and peppers
  • Portion out the dressing daily with your canned chicken and serve chilled


0 comments:

Post a Comment