Sunday, February 3, 2013

Vegan, Paleo, Butternut Squash and Kale Soup with Sprouted Tri-Color Lentils

I've mentioned before how much I LOVE butternut squash.  You'll also notice the presence of Kale in many of my recipes.  The nutrition and health benefits of kale are well known, and as much as I enjoy it in smoothies, I've found that the texture of eating the whole leaves doesn't really appeal to me.  I still want to include it in my diet, so I decided that in this soup, I would use my immersion blender to puree the kale with the butternut squash, thus avoiding my texture issues with this leafy green friend.

This recipe incorporated some Middle Eastern flair because I cooked the sprouted lentils in water seasoned with cumin and cinnamon.  This soup was crazy high in protein and super filling and perfect for the 20 degree weather we've been experiencing lately.

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs. Butternut Squash (I was pressed for time, so I bought the pre-cut version at the store)
  • 1/2 lb. Kale, shredded (remove the stems as they taste very bitter!)
  • 1/2 c. Onion, chopped
  • 1/2 c. Celery, chopped
  • 1/2 c. Carrots, chopped
  • 1 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 4 c. Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth
  • 1 c. Dried, Sprouted, Tri-Color Lentils
  • Garlic Powder, Cumin, Cinnamon, Salt, Pepper to taste
Instructions:

  • In a small pot, bring 3 cups of water to a boil, seasoned with cumin and cinnamon.  Add the lentils, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until lentils are tender.  Drain and set aside
  • In a large pot, saute the onion, celery, and carrots in olive oil until fragrant
  • Add squash, kale, and broth, seasonings to taste and bring to a boil
  • Reduce heat and simmer until squash and kale are soft
  • Using an immersion blender (or transferring small amounts to a food processor) puree the vegetable mixture until smooth
  • Add the lentils and stir until smooth

0 comments:

Post a Comment