Sunday, February 3, 2013

Paleo, Gluten-Free, Vegan Banana Bread...my first attempt at using Coconut Flour

A few of my friends have gone Paleo recently.  This means that their diets are grain-free and dairy-free and consist mostly of lean meats, eggs, fruits, vegetables, and nuts/seeds.  I think the concept of Paleo is really interesting, but I personally could not give up dairy, so I'll stick with clean eating ;).

However, as you all know, I enjoy a kitchen challenge, so I've been trying out some Paleo-friendly recipes (which are incidentally all gluten-free for the many people in my life who are oh-so-affectionately glu-tarded).

Banana bread is one of my favorite things to make, and making it Paleo wasn't entirely difficult, but it did require some research.  I decided to use Coconut Flour, which I've learned can't just be substituted for regular flour as it absorbs a ton more moisture. 

This bread came out decent, but there's room for improvement.  I can get past the slightly weird texture, but I can't help but notice that the coconut flour (or some sort of weird reaction between the ingredients) made this taste sort of salty...

Ingredients:
  • 3 Ripe Bananas, mashed
  • 1/3 c. Coconut Oil (cold pressed, extra virgin!)
  • 6 Eggs (I never never never cook with whole eggs, but I'm embracing the Paleo here...)
  • 2 tbsp. Honey
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 c. Coconut Flour
  • 1 tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp. Baking Soda
  • 1/4 tsp. Salt
  • 1 tbsp. Cinnamon
Instructions:
 
  • Combine bananas and melted coconut oil and mix well
  • Add eggs, honey, and vanilla and whisk until combined
  • In a separate bowl, stir together dry ingredients
  • Add to wet ingredients
  • Transfer to a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment