Sunday, August 8, 2010

Challenges...

As part of this little quest I am on, I've decided to try one new food every week.  This week's "challenge food" is Spaghetti Squash.  I am a pasta freak.  I could eat it every single day and never get sick of it.  However, my body would definitely not appreciate my making pasta a food staple.  Therefore, I am constantly in search of healthier, lower carb, lower calorie substitutes.  I've tried Tofu Shirataki noodles in the past.  Hungry Girl swears by them, but frankly, I find them disgusting.  They are rubbery, chewy, and smell faintly of fish.  At 20 calories a serving, they have basically no nutritional value.  I am pleased to report that Spaghetti Squash is an actual, legitimate, nutritious, delicious, satisfying (enough adjectives yet?) substitute for my pasta cravings.

Here are some tips on how to prepare:
Preheat oven to 375.  Puncture with a fork several times to vent, then place in microwave for 3-4 minutes so it's soft enough to cut
Cut in half lengthwise, then use a fork or grapefruit spoon to scoop out the "guts"
Place cut side down in a pyrex dish filled with about an inch of water.  I seasoned the water with chili powder, garlic powder, red and black pepper, and some sea salt.  Put in oven for 45 minutes.  Keep an eye on it and when the tops start to brown, it should be done.  Once cooked, drain water and place face up until the squash is cool enough to handle.
Use a fork to scrape out the squash into a bowl.  It will take on the texture and shape of spaghetti.  The above is about 2 cups (only about 80 cals!) and this was only from half the squash!  Then, top with whatever you want.

Tonight, I browned 1/2 cup of  Morningstar Farms Soy Crumbles in a skillet with a tsp of olive oil and some minced garlic.  After the crumbles were browned, I added 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, and poured the mixture over the squash. 

This meal was so delicious and filling, and I still have about 3 cups of squash left for later in the week! 

Challenge #2:  Plan and prepare meals in advance.  In order to cut down on my stress level as well as save precious time in the mornings and evenings, I am setting out to plan my meals for the week every Sunday.  Since Sunday is my day off from the gym, I will have the whole day to plan, grocery shop, and prepare most of my food for the week.

For those of you who know me, you know that I thrive on organization.  I can't handle a chaotic, unplanned lifestyle.  That's not to say that I don't enjoy the occasional attack of spontaneity, but overall, I function much better on a schedule.  So, I am thus thrilled to be starting work tomorrow (for many reasons, obviously, not just for the regular schedule).

Here's hoping it all goes well!  I'm off to finish planning and prepping some meals for the week.  More recipes and photos to come soon :o)


And a little scale update:  -4.4 after my first week!  :o)

1 comments:

Nicole said...

I made this tonight as a side for chicken parm. Delicious!

Post a Comment