Tuesday, August 31, 2010

"Oh wow...that looks awesome. What is it?"

At work, my breakfasts and lunches are always attracting attention.  I can't say that I mind.  If I am proud of the things I make, I tend to enjoy eating them more.  Tonight's dinner will also be tomorrow's lunch, which I am sure will garner the usual attention from the 1st floor therapy crew.  I used this week's challenge food (the Acorn Squash).  I made up the recipe myself, so I will re-create it here (lucky for me - and you, I measure basically everything to figure out the points, so it makes recipe making easier).

Stuffed Acorn Squash with Vegetarian Chili

Ingredients - serves 2
  • 1 medium sized Acorn Squash (either orange or green is fine)
  • 1/8 tsp. Olive Oil
  • Chili Powder
  • Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1 c. canned Low Sodium Black Beans, drained and rinsed well
  • 1/4 c. sliced Water Chestnuts, drained and rinsed well
  • 1 c. Morning Star Meal Starters Soy Crumbles
  • 2/3 c. Salsa
  • 1/2 c. fresh Spinach leaves
 Instructions

Squash:
  1. Cut squash in half with sharp knife and scoop out guts
  2. Brush the squash with the olive oil, and season it with chili powder and red pepper flakes
  3. Place the halves cut side down in a pyrex with an inch of water
  4. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes until the tops begin to brown (don't under cook)
  5. Remove from oven, flip halves face up, and drain water.  Let cool

Vegetarian "Chili":
  1. Spray a skillet with cooking spray
  2. Throw in Soy crumbles and start to brown
  3. Add more chili pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
  4. Add in black beans, water chestnuts, and spinach and saute about 5 minutes
  5. Add salsa and continue to cook 2 minutes more

Spoon the "chili" into the squash halves, and ENJOY!  Who doesn't love an edible bowl?? (make sure to eat the actual flesh of the squash as you eat the chili).  I think I might use this idea to serve squash and pumpkin soup when I host Thanksgiving this year!

Pre-bake...cut, scooped out, and seasoned
"Chili" Mixture - soy crumbles, black beans, water chestnuts, and spinach
Finished Product!  So pretty :o)
Close-Up


My dessert tonight is pretty delicious at well.  6 oz. Fage Total 0% fat free Greek yogurt, mixed with 1 tsp. Truvia and 1/3 c. craisins.  Put the mixture in the freezer for a couple hours, sprinkle it with a few mini chocolate chips = ice cream treat!


Hello, Lover

It's only Tuesday, but I'm liking this week :o)

0 comments:

Post a Comment